In our second episode, Pr. Riley and Pr. Gillespie consider the Hermann Sasse on the uniqueness of each Sacrament.
[ download ]
- Hermann Sasse
- We Confess the Sacraments (Anthology), section 4, p. 21, “Preaching and Lord’s Supper”
- Augustine’s definition of a sacrament
- Martin Luther on the necessity of the Lord's Supper, Large Catechism, Sacrament of the Altar, para. 39-48
- "45] And we have, in the first place, the clear text in the very words of Christ: Do this in remembrance of Me. These are bidding and commanding words by which all who would be Christians are enjoined to partake of this Sacrament. Therefore, whoever would be a disciple of Christ, with whom He here speaks, must also consider and observe this, not from compulsion, as being forced by men, but in obedience to the Lord Jesus Christ, and to please Him. 46] However, if you say: But the words are added, As oft as ye do it; there He compels no one, but leaves it to our free choice, answer: 47] That is true, yet it is not written that we should never do so. Yea, just because He speaks the words, As oft as ye do it, it is nevertheless implied that we should do it often; and it is added for the reason that He wishes to have the Sacrament free, not limited to special times, like the Passover of the Jews, which they were obliged to eat only once a year, and that just upon the fourteenth day of the first full moon in the evening, and which they must not vary a day. As if He would say by these words: I institute a Passover or Supper for you which you shall enjoy not only once a year, just upon this evening, but often, when and where you will, according to every one's opportunity and necessity, bound to no place or appointed time; 48] although the Pope afterwards perverted it, and again made a Jewish feast of it."
- Medieval relics
- Cliffhanger (1993)
- Mariana Trench
- Face/Off (1997)
- Last Action Hero (1993) Soundtrack
- Augsburg Confession
- Small Catechism
- Marburg Colloquy
- Ecumenical Movement
- “Councils can err” - Luther
- Easter Vigil baptisms
- Episode 73: Confirmation, Catechesis, & Pentecost · Higher Things
- AVP: Alien vs. Predator (2004)
- Nicolai Tesla
- Dr. Normal Nagel
Questions? Comments? Show Ideas? Send them to us at http://higherthings.org/contact.
Please rate and review the show in Apple Podcasts, via https://itunes.apple.com/podcast/simulcast/id1037828387?mt=2.
To subscribe Apple Podcasts, please go to: pcast://feeds.feedburner.com/AsLutheranAsItGets
To subscribe directly, please paste the following link into your podcast player of choice: http://feeds.feedburner.com/AsLutheranAsItGets
And as always, don't forget Pr. Gillespie's coffee, Coffee by Gillespie, for your caffeination needs.