Forty years ago today, one of our beloved founders and the coordinator of our first (“Dying to Live”) and most recent conference (the Feast) was born. To celebrate our Christ on Campus Executive's turning old, we will be unveiling a whole new line of Matrix HT action figures later today. Look for them very soon! Until then, we would like to offer this list of things older than Pastor Zill.....
Things we know for sure are older than Pastor Zill..
1. Dirt and everything in the UW Geology Museum is older than Zill.
2. The Spork (1874) - the combination of fork and spoon is older than Zill!
3. Pastor Zill's Favorite Sports – Football (1879), Baseball (1846), and Basketball (1891) - older, older, older than Zill.
4. Indoor Plumbing was created in ancient Egypt (4000 BC). Zill was born a bit later.
5. Benjamin Franklin discovered electricity in 1752 making it older than Zill.
6. Elvis – (1935 – 1977?) - Whether the King is alive or dead, he's older than Zill.
7. University of Wyoming – Founded in 1886. Yes, the Wyoming Cowboys are older than Zill too!
8. Pastor Cwirla is older than Pastor Zill - but not by much!
9. Pastor Zill's favorite drink is Tequila (1656). Cactus juice is older than Zill.
10. Crackers (1792) – I don't know why they are in the list, I just like crackers! But cracker are older than Zill too!
11. Snakes - Garden of Eden – Adam and Eve's pet gone wild. Yes, the Fall happened before Zill was born.
12. Where Pastor Zill hikes – Vadauwoo is older than Zill (see Gen 1:1)
13. Planes (1903), Trains (1550), and Automobiles (1800s) - all existed before Zill.
15. The LC-MS (1847) is older than Pastor Zill.
16. Book of Concord (1580) is older than Pastor Zill.
17. Televisions (1928) AND Radio (1902) - both of these pre-date Pastor Zill.
18. $0.31/gal. gasoline (price of gas in 1965).
19. Toilet Paper (China – 1391, first roll was made by Scott Paper in 1890). Yes, Baby Zill used toilet paper. Shocking, eh?
20. The Lord God - He's eternal. That's really older than Zill!
Special thanks to the Pastor Zill's congregation's president for helping us compile this list...
The booklet of the first part of St. Lawrence/Martyrs' Tide is available in pdf-format for download here. You can receive the Higher Things Reflections in your e-mail box today! Subscribe by sending any e-mail to: Reflectionsfirstname.lastname@example.org. You can find an RSS Feed and Podcast for the Higher Things Daily Reflections here. Listening to podcasts requires iTunes. Our Podcast is updated daily.In Christ,
For us baptized, for us he bore; His holy fast and hungered sore; For us temptation sharp he knew; For us the tempter overthrew.
The Gospel is not that Christ was born, that He died, or even that He rose on the third day. We can talk all day about all the wonderful, amazing, miraculous things that Jesus did and does today - and it still wouldn't be the Gospel. The Gospel is the proclamation of Christ and Him crucified FOR YOU. The Gospel is in the FOR YOU. Everything that Jesus did, He did FOR YOU!
That's why we're so excited about this year's conference theme, "For You". We, the coordinators of next year's Higher Things conferences, invite you to come and hear the best news there is - the Gospel of Jesus Christ and Him crucified FOR YOU.
Whether you attend the conference in Minneapolis, MN from July 24-27, 2007 or the conference in Asheville, NC from July 31-August 3, 2007, expect to be richly fed in the best of our worship traditions, taught on a number of subjects of interest to youth today by skilled Lutheran pastors and laity, and set free to play and fellowship with one another as Christians in the cross-won freedom of the Gospel.
For us by wickedness betrayed; For us, in crown of thorns arrayed; He bore the shameful cross and death; For us he gave his dying breath.
When we worship, we worship. When we work, we work. And when we play, we play. And with Higher Things, the FOR YOU gets delivered to you! Our goal at Higher Things is to assist congregations, pastors and parents to deliver the Gospel into the ears of youth. And nothing immerses a young person in the Gospel like an entire Higher Things conference (or two) devoted to that purpose!
This year, we have not only more than doubled our potential maximum capacity by offering two conferences, but we are opening registration a full three months earlier than has ever been done in the history of Higher Things conferences. You can even register and pay your deposit online!
Read more about conference details here <http://higherthings.org/conferences/foryou2007/about.html>. Visit the FOR YOU conference website <http://www.foryou2007.org> frequently for updates about the upcoming conferences, instructions and materials for both print and online registration, and to ask and receive answers to burning questions about each conference (FAQ page to be online soon).
Also, learn more about Higher Things and support all the work we're doing with our conferences, magazine, website, and retreats for youth and college students by visiting <http://www.higherthings.org>.
For us he rose from death again; For us he went on high to reign; For us he sent his Spirit here To guide, to strengthen, and to cheer. ("Oh Love, How Deep" - LW #275)
In the Name of Jesus,
Minneapolis FOR YOU Conference Coordinator
Pastor George Borghardt
Asheville FOR YOU Conference Coordinator
Option 1 - Hotel: We have group reservations at the Hampton Inn (25 rooms) and the Holiday Inn Express (25 rooms), which are right next door to each other. Cost for both Friday and Saturday nights is $138 plus tax per room, or with four people per room, $38.50 plus tax a person.
Group leaders can reserve rooms with a credit card by calling the hotel directly and saying that they are with the Zion Lutheran Youth Retreat:
Hampton Inn: (269) 789-0131
Holiday Inn Express: (269) 789-9301
Option 2 - Home Stay: Families of the host congregation are opening their homes to provide free housing and breakfasts for any interested participants. If your group would like to take advantage of this, please contact the home stay co-ordinator, Mrs. Amy James, at 269-964-9909.
Deadline: Registrations with checks payable to “Zion Lutheran Church” must be postmarked no later than October 1, 2006. Space will be limited for this retreat, so groups are encouraged to register early!